Bovey Tracey Primary School

Covid-19 Information

COVID-19 Information and Support


The school is running in line with current government legislation, and we remain committed to supporting our children and families during these unprecedented times.  We continue to offer provision each day in term time and can be contacted as detailed below.  These pages include useful sources of information and support. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

The information is organised through key questions. By clicking on each key question you will be able to access the relevant related information or you can scroll down in order to read through it all.

Please note: Should new government guidelines be issued at any point our risk assessment will be updated in due course in line with the recommendation. Please check the date of the risk assessment to ensure which government information has been included, if you are unsure please feel free to ask.

Frequently asked questions




Do I need to wear a face mask when I drop off and collect my child? Yes, after the 5th November face masks should be worn.

How do I tell the school about my child’s results if I get them at the weekend?


Please inform the school immediately of the results whether positive or negative.  Use the admin email address if this happens over the weekend.

If a child in a class tests positive, what happens with the staff who have had close contacts in that class?

Then the members of staff would have to self-isolate along with the children.

If an adult tests positive, what happens if they cover more than one class?

The adult and the children they have been in contact with would need to self-isolate.   Sometimes if an adult has only worked with one group of children and has been 2m away from the rest of the class, then only the group would need to isolate. It is therefore crucial that all staff carefully monitor who is in their class and who they have been in close contact with.

In Brimley class, where the teacher has tested positive, why did you not send all of the Brimley staff home too?


Brimley staff, as long as they are not considered a close contact with the infected person, do not have to self-isolate.  That is why we stick strictly to our social distancing rules between staff.  We do all of our staff meetings and leadership meetings on TEAMS.  All staff are aware of what is considered by Public Health England to be a ‘close contact’.

My child is in Brimley, why does their sibling not need to isolate?

The only people who are required to self-isolate are those who have been in direct contact with the infected person. The rest of their household are not required to isolate and so, from government guidance, siblings can still attend school.

I was working in Brimley last week, can I now work in another class?

As long as the adult has not been a ‘close contact,’ they can work in a different class whilst their class is closed.

Should my child be wearing a face mask in class?

Based on current evidence and the measures that schools are already putting in place, such as the system of controls and consistent bubbles, face coverings will not be necessary in the classroom even where social distancing is not possible. Face coverings could have a negative impact on teaching and their use in the classroom should be avoided.

How can I contact the school during any times of closure?

We are running our daily provision during term-time and so the school telephone is manned during this time.  Please feel free to contact us in school on 01626 833257.


Our school admin address also continues to be monitored daily during term-time:


Our Phase Teams can also be contacted via email should you have any queries regarding your child’s home learning provision. Emails will be monitored daily during term-time but responses may take a few days:


Phase 1 Team email              

Phase 2 Team email              

Phase 3 Team email              

How can I access information about my child’s Special Educational Needs provision during the closure?

Guidance on helping children with special educational needs and disabilities learn at home can be found here:

For information about how to support your child during the school closure, including specific information relating to SEND provision:

For specific queries about your child’s provision please contact Miss Forrest (Deputy Head and SENDCo) at

Where can I access information about school closures and access to reduced provision?

What advice and support is available to support parents with home learning?

Click on the link below for the latest school letter about home learning during the school closure:

Advice for parents supporting primary aged children with home learning during the school closure.

Where can I access health information about COVID-19, including symptoms, social distancing and how to minimise the risk of spreading the virus?

There are a number of useful websites which outline key health information and Public Health advice.  Please click on the links below to access this:

Further information, including where you can access support can be found at the Devon Partnership NHS Trust pages at:

Where can I find the latest information about the COVID-19 government response?

Updates on COVID-19:

What support is available to parents to help them maintain their family’s wellbeing while their children are at home?

The COVID-19 situation, including the impact of social distancing measures and the changes on the way we lead our daily lives can affect children and adults differently. The link below offers advice and support as well as further contacts to help support the well-being of children and parents during this time.

Social isolation, reduced exercise and bereavement may affect children’s well-being in this period. Resources to promote and support children and young people’s mental well-being include:

In school we are experienced in supporting children who have suffered a bereavement, so please let us know if your family has suffered a loss and what support you may like as a family, or for your child remotely and/or when school returns.

Where can I access helplines or support with mental well-being for both children and adults?

Please contact 03300 245 321 during normal hours (8am-5pm, Mon to Fri) or 0300 555 5000 outside these hours. Callers will speak to a call handler, their call will be forwarded to a voicemail service and their message will be returned within one hour.

There are three CAMHS crisis teams – Torbay and South Devon; Exeter, East and Mid Devon; and North Devon. Your call will be directed to the appropriate team.


In the event of an emergency please call 999.

Domestic Abuse

We continue to hope that you and your families are well and coping with the current situation as best you can.  We are sure you will all be aware through the media about the increased concerns regarding the additional risks that being at home creates for children and adults who are victims of Domestic Abuse. We are quite sure that you will have seen the broadcasts on television aimed at those who are victims of domestic abuse. Please be aware that if you are currently suffering in this way support and help for you is available. The current lockdown rules do not apply in the same way and there are options available to you.

School is open as a place of safety for victims to make a phone call for help. If you need to do this, please come to school and ask for Mrs Prywata or Miss Forrest. Let them know that you ‘need a place of safety to make a phone call’ and they will let you use a private room where you can contact the appropriate help.

Where can I go to get support to help keep my child safe online?

There is support available to keep your child safe online. You can access 

Here are some useful links to help parents and carers.

Where can I find information about Free School Meals entitlement?

If you are already accessing Free School Meals entitlement, you will have been contacted by us to arrange collection of a weekly food parcel which is being distributed during the school closure while your child/children is/are unable to access school meals provision.

If your circumstances have changed or if you think you may be entitled but have not claimed previously, please see the information below which outlines eligibility.

Children whose parents are getting any of the following are entitled to free school meals:

  • Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods).

  • Income Support (IS).

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA).

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (IRESA).

  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit.

  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

  • Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190).

  • Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment you get for a further 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit).


The Free School Meal Team have a platform that enables you to make a quick application online where your eligibility can be assessed and an outcome can be given instantaneously.

Alternatively, if you think you are eligible for free school meals but are not already claiming them, please contact us either by ringing the school office in term-time (01626 833257) or emailing us at:

What other advice is available for families in Devon during this time?

Advice for parents and families in Devon can be accessed at:

What support is available in our community?

How can I contact local food banks if I need to?

Newton Abbot (Buckland) and Teignbridge - can deliver 

Newton Abbot (Kingsteignton) – can deliver

Department for Education coronavirus helpline

The Department for Education coronavirus helpline is now available to answer questions about COVID-19 relating to education and children's social care. Staff, parents and young people can contact this helpline as follows:

Phone: 0800 046 8687


Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)